Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Fervent prayer

Prayer life been dragging a little lately? Are you missing the fervent need to talk to God?
I have the solution:
Drive home from the Charlotte airport in 5:30 bumper-to-bumper traffic with a bunch of clearly suicidal people driving the vehicles around you. Try not to hit the gas or brake pedal with your knee as you bow with your head under the steering wheel and honestly, earnestly, and loudly, pray for mercy!
You will also find your heart moved to pray for others as you never have before. "Lord, have mercy!" you will find yourself screeching as the car beside you dives underneath the nearest transfer truck.
I found I was very encouraging to other drivers too. Hurry up- jump in there- go! before that truck gets your spot! Oh for goodness sakes! Why didn't you go already?!
And thankful? Oh, thank you Lord for the 'Welcome to Iredell County' sign. Oh Lord! Thank you for the Claremont exit! Oh, thank you Jesus for my church parking lot and relative safety!

But the best part of all? Walking late into my little church and hearing my deacon whisper "we prayed for you" and seeing people smile at me when they saw I had arrived safe and sound. Knowing people really care. Knowing the Lord does answer prayers...even when we are praying from under the steering wheel :)

No comments: