Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Old friends.

The text was one word: "Hello".
After a few replies, I found out it was one of my friends from the school years, way, way back. And we had been great friends.

We talked as much as texting would allow, promising each other a phone conversation later in the day after work. My mind, usually unable to get through conversations without an uncomfortable lapse, was buzzing with things to talk about. What did she grow up to be? Does she like being married? Did she go on to college?

I'm sure she has just as many questions for me. And we will no doubt have a long conversation about my life and how it turned out too.

Will this restore our past friendship, when we shared everything with one another? When we whispered about boys and first loves and such? Will we be able to talk freely like we used to when we were young?

I doubt it. We lost many years in between. We matured. We now have new outlooks on life. She has a young family. Mine is almost an empty-nest scenario. I don't know how much we will have in common.

But, for the moment, I look forward to talking with her, to answering questions of 'what happened when'. I am looking forward to reliving some old memories and laughing about things from the past. Will there be a future? It would be nice. She was one of the greatest friends I ever knew. Time will tell.

I'm not overly optimistic about all of this...

But I'm not a cynic either.

No comments: